This wonderful dish is the family recipe of a dear friend who has kindly shared it with us. This recipe is deliciously simple and makes a refreshing change from ordering take out, and it’s great for gatherings since it’s so easy to cook in big batches. Feel free to customize this however you like, by adding chickpeas, big chunky bell peppers, or more chili if you’re brave enough.
If you don’t eat meat then you can substitute the chicken for potatoes! The cooking method stays the same. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 hot chili pepper, diced, with seeds kept in
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 chicken thighs, cubed
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 500g tomato passata
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- On medium heat, fry the onion, garlic, chili and tomato purée in a saucepan until golden. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cubed chicken thighs and turmeric, mixing well. Once the chicken is coated in the turmeric, add the passata, cumin, coriander, and garam masala. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the saucepan, stir and cook for another 20 minutes, or until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
- Serve with rice and naan bread.