Magic squares are a hit with any crowd. Bring them to your neighborhood barbecue, or that potluck at work, and you’ll be the center of attention. But be warned, you will never be allowed to make anything else ever again. Yes, they really are that good. And they’re so easy to make!
Makes about 15 squares
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 400 g graham crackers or digestive biscuits
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 (7 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut (or desiccated coconut)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- Crush the graham crackers by hand or blend them in a mixer until fine like sand.
- In a deep, 9 x 11 inch dish, add the crushed graham crackers and melted butter. Mix together until the graham crackers have moistened and form a thick, even crust, making sure to form it on the sides of the dish. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Once the crust has been formed, drizzle a thin layer of the sweetened condensed milk over the base (about 2 to 3 tbsp).
- Add a thin even layer of the shredded coconut over the condensed milk (roughly 2 handfuls). Next, evenly sprinkle about 2 handfuls of chocolate chips over the condensed milk. Then add 2 handfuls of the butterscotch chips on top. On top of that, add 2 handfuls of the chopped walnuts, and then, again, evenly drizzle with condensed milk.
- Continue to layer the ingredients like this until you run out. Finish with a last layer of condensed milk and then bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into 2 x 3 inch squares. Store in an air tight container for up to 1 week.