To me, this is the perfect Sunday roast. The anchovies add a beautiful flavor to the lamb, and we recommend having it with rosemary roast potatoes and parsnips. You can easily make this for more people by using a full leg of lamb, just adjust the cooking time for 30 minutes per half kilo, plus the 30 minutes on high heat at the beginning.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 1 carrot, halved
- 1 parsnip, halved
- 1 large onion, halved
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 tin of anchovy fillets
- Half leg of lamb (around 1kg)
- 3 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/464°F.
- Place the carrot, parsnip and onion in a baking tray to create a trivet. Slice the garlic cloves lengthways, into long thin slices. Remove the rosemary leaves from the stems and cut the anchovy fillets into halves.
- Cut small holes into the lamb, about 1 inch apart from each other. Into each hole, place a slice of garlic, half an anchovy fillet and a couple rosemary leaves. Season with black pepper and place onto the vegetable trivet.
- Lightly cover a square of foil with olive oil and cover the lamb. Place in the oven for around 30 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 170°C/338°F and cook for 30 minutes per half kilo of lamb.
- Remove from oven and let it rest for 15 minutes, still covered. Serve with roast potatoes and vegetables.