These passion fruit macarons are simply delicious. The tart and slightly sour flavor of the passion fruit jam perfectly cuts through the warm sweetness of the vanilla macarons. Feel free to switch it up and experiment with different jams to use as the filling!
Makes 16 macarons
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
- 75 g ground almonds
- 115 g icing sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp passion fruit jam
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a food processor, process the ground almonds and icing sugar for 15 seconds.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks are formed (test this out by turning your whisk upside down, the peaks should be just starting to hold, but melt back after a second). Gradually whisk in the caster sugar until you reach a firm and glossy meringue. Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Fold the almond mixture into the meringue one third at a time using a spatula. Once all the dry ingredients are well combined, continue to cut and fold the mixture until and shiny batter with a thick, ribbon-like consistency is formed.
- Pour the mixture into a piping bag with a half inch plain nozzle. Pipe 32 small rounds onto the prepared baking sheets. The trick to piping is to keep the nozzle straight above the baking sheet and to have it pretty close to the baking sheet so that the tip of the nozzle hits the top of the macaron once you’ve finished piping it. When finished, lift straight up to avoid an uneven or lumpy macaron.
- Once you have finished piping, tap the baking sheets firmly onto a flat work surface in order to remove air bubbles. Leave at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes and then allow to cool for 10 minutes. Once cooled, carefully peel the macarons from the baking paper. Then leave to cool completely for another 10 minutes.
- To assemble the macarons, take one macaron and in the center add about a teaspoon of passion fruit jam. Take a second macaron and then sandwich them together, making sure to press them very gently to avoid squeezing out the filling.
- Repeat with the rest and enjoy your delicious home made macaroons!
For more delicious macaron recipes, click here.